Jun 24, 2024  
2013-2014 University Catalog 
2013-2014 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Cal Poly Pomona offers a variety of financial aid programs to assist students with college costs. Grants, work opportunities, loans and scholarships totaling more than $130 million are funded each year through federal, state, private and University sources. The following information describes three different types of resources: (1) aid programs for students with financial need; (2) academic or merit scholarships awarded without consideration of need; and (3) alternative financing options available to students and parents. Sixty-six percent of Cal Poly Pomona’s students receive aid through one or more of these options.

Although every effort is made to present the most accurate and up-to-date information, this information is subject to change due to alterations in federal, state, University or lender policy or procedures. For additional information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Staff members are available to assist both students and parents in obtaining the maximum resources available.

The federal Military Selective Service Act (the “Act”) requires most males residing in the United States to present themselves for registration with the Selective Service System within thirty days of their eighteenth birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959, may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations in order to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at http://www.sss.gov.

International students are ineligible to apply for any form of U.S. government financial aid. International students should pursue private sources of financial aid, including institutional aid from Cal Poly Pomona colleges and departments. The International Center administers a scholarship and no-interest program for international students as well.

Need-Based Programs

Qualifications: To receive aid through the need-based grant, loan and/or employment programs, students must (1) have financial need; (2) have a high school diploma or a GED; (3) be enrolled as a regular student working towards a degree or certificate in an eligible program; (4) be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen: (5) have a social security number: (6) make satisfactory academic progress; and (7) register with the Selective Service, if required.

Financial need is determined by comparing the student’s total educational costs with the amount the student’s family can reasonably be expected to contribute. Total educational costs include fees, room and board, books, transportation and personal expenses.

Costs vary depending on the student’s residency status, number of credits, room and board arrangements, as well as the choices they make concerning personal and transportation expenses.

Each student’s family contribution is based on the student’s income and assets, parents’ income and assets (if applicable), family size, number of family members attending college, etc. This information is provided by the student on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and is used in a formula, established by the U.S. Congress to determine the student’s financial need, as follows:

Total cost of education
Expected family contribution
Amount of financial need

Application Process for Need-Based Programs

Students applying for need-based financial aid must complete the following steps:

Step 1 (The Application)

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and include Cal Poly Pomona’s school code number, 001144. Students may apply online at www.fafsa.gov/. California residents who wish to apply for a Cal Grant must also complete a GPA Verification Form. The FAFSA and GPA Verification Form are available December 1 at all high schools and colleges in California.

New students should not wait to be admitted to the University to apply for financial aid. The earlier the application, the better the chance that funds will be available. Students must reapply for aid each year. Students should complete this application as early as possible after January 1, but no later than the priority filing deadline of March 2.

Step 2 (Request for Documents)

Approximately four weeks after the FAFSA is mailed, the central processing agency will send a Student Aid Report (SAR) to the student and electronically transfer the application to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Upon review of the information included on the FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid will notify applicants if any additional information is needed (e.g., copies of federal tax returns, etc.).

Step 3 (Application Review and Awarding)

As application files are completed and reviewed by the Financial Aid staff, students are notified by e-mail of their eligibility for financial aid. Students who qualify will receive a Financial Aid Offer letter outlining the types and amounts of awarded financial aid. Information is also provided at that time giving details about maintaining eligibility and the disbursement of aid. Typically, aid is disbursed at the beginning of each quarter. Financial Aid awards are based on full-time units (12 units or more). Some financial aid is adjusted if the student is enrolled in less than full-time units. Adjustments are made for three-quarter time (9-11 units), half-time (6-8 units), and less than half-time (1-5 units). Some aid types are not available for less than half-time enrollment.

New applicants for Cal Grants will be notified by the California Student Aid Commission of their eligibility for Cal Grants; renewal recipients will be notified by the Cal Poly Pomona Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Types of Need-Based Programs

Eligible students are offered a “package” which may consist of a combination of grants, work opportunities, and loans. Awards are based on each student’s eligibility and the availability of funds at the time the aid application is received and completed.

The following programs are available to students who qualify for need-based assistance:

Grants (Aid that does not have to be repaid)

Federal Pell Grant is a grant for students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. Students seeking a teacher credential are eligible to apply for the Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal grant for students with exceptional financial need. Recipients must be eligible for the Pell Grant.

Cal Grants A and B are state grants awarded to California residents on the basis of financial need and grade point average. Initial awards are determined by the California Student Aid Commission. Renewal awards are determined by Cal Poly Pomona based on state criteria.

Cal Grant A awards are for fees.

Cal Grant B awards cover fees and provide a monthly living allowance. Freshman recipients receive a living allowance; beginning with the sophomore year, recipients receive funds for both fees and living allowance.

Educational Opportunity Grant (EOP) is a state grant for undergraduate students who meet specified need criteria and are admitted to the University through EOP.

State University Grant (SUG) is a state grant for fees for California resident undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. Cal Grant recipients are not eligible for SUG.

Cal Poly Pomona Grant (CPP) is a university grant for undergraduate students to assist with payment of fees.

Loans (Aid that has to be repaid)

Federal Perkins Loan is a federal loan for undergraduate and graduate students. The interest rate is 5 percent and repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan is a federal loan for undergraduate and graduate students. The award ranges from $500 to the maximum shown below.

Other Undergraduate
$ 5,500

Independent undergraduate students and graduate/professional degree students may qualify for additional unsubsidized loan eligibility as follows: 

Other Undergraduate
$ 4,000

The interest rate is fixed at 4.5%-6.8% on or after July 1, 2010. Repayment of principal begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. For students who have financial need, the loan is subsidized, and the government pays the interest while the student is in school. For students who do not have financial need, the loan is unsubsidized and students make interest only payments while in school or defer payment of the interest until repayment of the principal begins.

Employment (Aid that has to be earned)

Federal Work Study is a federally subsidized program through which students earn funds for educational expenses. Work opportunities are both on and off campus and include positions in research, tutoring, community service, administration and office operations, computing and library services and more. Awards range from $1,500 to $3,000.

Academic and Merit Scholarships

Scholarships are offered by various organizations, businesses and community groups. These awards are often based on merit, talent, community service or organizational affiliation. Financial need is a criterion for some, but not all of these awards.

Scholarships are administered through the individual colleges, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, and various private agencies and organizations. To be considered for the awards administered through each of these sources, students must:

  1. complete the University Scholarship Application and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships by the published deadline. Applications from entering freshmen for the Honors Fellows Program must be submitted no later than January 31. Applications are available in the Office of Financial Aid& Scholarships.
  2. contact the college and/or department of their major field of study for information concerning awards in their specific major.
  3. carefully review the private scholarship information available through the high schools and the Cal Poly Pomona Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Reference material is located in the Financial Aid Lobby located on the third floor of the CLA Tower. Additional scholarship information is available on the Cal Poly Pomona’s Financial Aid website.

The President’s Council Scholars Program

This program, established in 1983, recognizes the academic and extracurricular excellence of selected Cal Poly Pomona students. Funded by private contributions from members of the President’s Council, this award provides $1,500 in scholarships each year to over ten students. President’s Council Scholars are invited to participate in several special activities throughout the year. One student is selected from each of the University’s six academic colleges, the Collins College of Hospitality Management, and the College of Education and Integrative Studies.

To be eligible, students must have an overall grade point average of at least 3.5, be either a junior or senior at the beginning of the academic year of the award, and must attend Cal Poly Pomona throughout the year of the award. Financial need is not a criterion for this award.

Applications will be mailed to eligible students in February, for the following academic year.

The Honors Fellows Program (formerly Kellogg Scholars Program)

This program, established in 1995, recognizes and rewards the academic excellence and outstanding achievement of high school seniors graduating from California high schools.

Honors Fellows receive a four-year, renewable scholarship for fees and a reduction in room charges for each year they choose to live on campus.

Applicants must complete the application for admission to Cal Poly Pomona by November 30, have earned an unweighted high school grade point average of 3.75 or better, and plan to enroll as a first-time freshman at Cal Poly Pomona on a full-time basis beginning the fall of the academic year of the award. Final selection is based on a review of grade point average, strength of academic program, rank in class, leadership, community and work experience. Financial need is not a criterion for this award.

The university scholarship application is required for initial consideration as a candidate and application/transcripts must be submitted by January 31. Final award decision will be made by April 1.

Information about the program may be obtained by contacting the Kellogg Honors College.

Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 – Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet certain age and income restrictions;

Section 68120 – Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of active law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships); and

Section 68121 – Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001. Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Section 38130.5 – Qualifying non-resident students exempt from paying nonresident tuition, such as, nonresident student with: high school attendance in California for three or more years; graduation from a California high school or attainment of equivalent; registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, and accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001-02 academic year; in the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Alternative Financing Programs

Funding is available which allows students and families to finance their portion of educational costs over an extended period of time. Through long-term financing programs, families may finance up to their share of the total cost of education, including travel and personal expenses.

Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans (as described above) are available to students without consideration of financial need. Students must first complete the FAFSA but do not need to demonstrate financial need.

Direct Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a federal loan for parents of undergraduate students. Eligibility is not based on family income or financial need. Parents may not have an adverse credit history. The interest rate is fixed at 7.9%.

Parents may borrow from $500 up to the total cost of education minus any financial aid received. Repayment extends up to 10 years and payment begins 60 days after the loan is received.

Short term loans are available through University Financial Services to undergraduate and graduate students for books, supplies, fees or unexpected expenses. Amounts range from $50 to $250, or the amount of fees. Financial need is not a criterion. Applicants must have a 2.0 GPA (3.0 for graduates), not have any outstanding financial obligations to the University, and have a source of repayment.

Cal Poly Pomona students have the option to pay their fees (and tuition where applicable) on an installment plan. Payment plan information is available through University Financial Services.

Financial Aid Services

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships is located on the third floor of the CLA Tower. The phone number is (909) 869-3700; fax number is (909) 869-4757.

Students may access the Cal Poly Pomona Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships website at www.csupomona.edu/~financial_aid/ for general information as well as specific information concerning their individual application and financial aid award status.

Staff members are available at the Financial Aid Service Counter from Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Walk-in Advising is also offered. Specific hours for Summer and quarter breaks are available by contacting the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Institutional and Financial Assistance Information

The following information concerning student financial assistance may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, which is located in the CLA Building (98-T3) tower section, third floor, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3700:

  1. A description of the federal, state, institutional, local, and private student financial assistance programs available to students who enroll at Cal Poly Pomona.
  2. For each aid program, a description of procedures and forms by which students apply for assistance, student eligibility requirements, criteria for selecting recipients from the group of eligible applicants, and criteria for determining the amount of a student’s award;
  3. A description of the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance, including federal Title IV student assistance programs, and criteria for continued student eligibility under each program;
  4. The satisfactory academic progress standards that students must maintain for the purpose of receiving financial assistance and criteria by which a student who has failed to maintain satisfactory progress may reestablish eligibility for financial assistance;
  5. The method by which financial assistance disbursements will be made to students and the frequency of those disbursements;
  6. The way the school provides for Pell-eligible students to obtain or purchase required books and supplies by the seventh day of a payment period and how the student may opt out;
  7. The terms of any loan received as part of the student’s financial aid package, a sample loan repayment schedule, and the necessity for repaying loans;
  8. The general conditions and terms applicable to any employment provided as part of the student’s financial aid package;
  9. The terms and conditions of the loans students receive under the Direct Loan and Perkins Loan Programs;
  10. The exit counseling information the school provides and collects for student borrowers; and
  11. Contact information for ombuds offices available for disputes concerning federal, institutional and private loans.

Information concerning the cost of attending Cal Poly Pomona is available from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, CLA Building (98-T3) Tower Section, third floor, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3700, and includes tuition and fees; the estimated costs of books and supplies; estimates of typical student room, board, and transportation costs; and, if requested, additional costs for specific programs.

Information concerning the refund policies of Cal Poly Pomona for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges is available from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, CLA Building (98-T3) Tower Section, third floor, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3700.

Information concerning policies regarding the return of federal Title IV student assistance funds as required by regulation is available from Cal Poly Pomona’s Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, CLA Building (98-T3) Tower Section, third floor, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3700.

Information regarding special facilities and services available to students with disabilities may be obtained from the Disability Resource Center, Building 9 Room 103, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3333.

Information concerning Cal Poly Pomona’s policies, procedures, and facilities for students and other to report criminal actions or other emergencies occurring on campus may be obtained from the University Police Department, Building 109, and can be contacted at 9-1-1 or (909) 869-3070.

Information concerning Cal Poly Pomona’s annual campus security report and annual fire safety report may be obtained from the University Police Department, Building 109, and can be contacted at (909) 869-4139.

Information concerning the prevention of drug and alcohol abuse and rehabilitation programs may be obtained from Ty Ramsower, Chair, Alcohol and Other Drugs Advisory Council and Associate Director, Health Promotion and Wellness, Student Health Services, Building 46, and can be contacted at (909) 869-2753.

Information regarding student persistence and graduation rates at Cal Poly Pomona and, if available, the number and percentage of students completing the program in which the student is enrolled or has expressed interest may be obtained from Institutional Research and Academic Resources, located in Building 1 Room 113, or contacted at (909) 869-3405.

Information concerning athletic opportunities available to male and female students and the financial resources and personnel that [name of institution] dedicates to its men’s and women’s teams may be obtained from Tracee Passeggi, Associate Athletic Director, Building 43 Room 118, or can be contacted at (909) 869-3778, or for financial assistance, contact Diana Minor, Director of Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, CLA Building (98-T3) Tower Section, third floor, and can be contacted at (909) 869-3704.

Information concerning teacher preparation programs at Cal Poly Pomona, including the pass rate on teacher certification examinations, may be obtained from the Department of Education, Building 5 Room 229, or can be contacted at (909) 869-2300.

Information concerning grievance procedures for students who feel aggrieved in their relationships with the university, its policies, practices and procedures, or its faculty and staff may be obtained from the Ombuds Office, Building 1 Room 106, or can be contacted at (909) 869-2286.


The law governing the California State University provides that Cal Poly Pomona fees defined as mandatory, such as a student body association fee and a student body center fee, may be established. A student body association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student body association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student body association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student body center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves, by a two-thirds favorable vote, the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student body center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012, 90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum as established by Executive Order 1054, Section III. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may adjust campus-based mandatory fees but must request the Chancellor to establish a new mandatory fee.  The President shall provide to the fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees.  The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus-based mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.