Apr 11, 2021  
2018-2019 University Catalog 
2018-2019 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Landscape Architecture, B.S.: 120 units

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Environmental Design

Offered by: College of Environmental Design, Landscape Architecture Department

Major Electives: 15 units

Landscape Architecture History Electives: 6 units

Students are required to take a minimum of six (6) units from the following list of department history electives. Students planning on studying abroad are encouraged to discuss history options with their major advisor.

Landscape Architecture Electives: 9 units

Students are required to take a minimum of nine (9) units of approved major electives. Students may select from the list below and see department for approved courses. Students are encouraged to consult with their major advisor to consider approving minor program courses and/or courses related to major but not on department approved list.


LA 4990  may be taken more than once for elective credit.  LA 4782  may be taken more than once for elective credit upon completion of major core course requirement. Landscape Architecture History course may be taken for elective credit once the required history elective requirements are met.


International Study Abroad Course Options

Students planning on studying abroad are required to take a series of core courses. Students are encouraged to discuss course options for the various abroad programs with their major advisor. Study abroad course options may include the following courses:

Unrestricted Electives: 0-6 units

Select a sufficient number of courses so that the total from "Major Required Core", "GE", and "Unrestricted Electives" is at least 105 units.

General Education Requirements: 48 units

Students should consult the Academic Programs website https://www.cpp.edu/~academic-programs/general-education-course-listings.shtml for current information regarding this requirement. Unless specific courses are required, please refer to the list of approved courses under General Education Requirements, Areas A through E.

  Course Term Taken Grade
Area A. English Language Communication and Critical Thinking (9 units)
1. Oral Communication      
2. Written Communication      
3. Critical Thinking      
Area B. Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning (12 units)
1. Physical Sciences      
2. Life Sciences      
3. Laboratory Activity      
4. Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning      
5. Science and Technology Synthesis      
Area C. Arts and Humanities (12 units)
1. Visual and Performing Arts      
2a. Philosophy and Civilization      
2b. Literature and Language Other than English      
3. Arts and Humanities Synthesis      
Area D. Social Sciences (12 units)
1. U.S. History and American Ideals      
2. U.S. Constitution and California Government      
3. Social Sciences: Principles, Methodologies, Value Systems, and Ethics      
4. Social Science Synthesis      
Area E. Lifelong Learning and Self-Development (3 units)      

For an alternative and interdisciplinary way to complete some of their GE requirements, students may choose the Interdisciplinary General Education program, see below. 

Interdisciplinary General Education: 21 units

An alternate pattern for partial fulfillment of GE Areas A, C, and D available for students is the Interdisciplinary General Education (IGE) program.  Students should see an advisor for specific GE coursework required by their major.  Please refer to the University Catalog General Education Program section for additional information.

How IGE fulfills General Education Requirements:

Year Completion of IGE Courses Satisfies GE Requirements
Freshman IGE 1100 , IGE 1200   A2 and C2b
Sophomore IGE 2100 , IGE 2200   C1 and C2a
Junior IGE 2300 , IGE 2400   D1 and D3
Senior IGE 3100   C3 or D4

American Institutions: 6 units

Courses that satisfy this requirement may also satisfy GE Area D1 and D2.

American Cultural Perspectives Requirement: 3 units

Refer to the University Catalog General Education Program section for a list of courses that satisfy this requirement.  Course may also satisfy major, minor, GE, or unrestricted elective requirements.

Graduation Writing Test

All persons who receive undergraduate degrees from Cal Poly Pomona must pass the Graduation Writing Test (GWT).  The test must be taken by the semester following completion of 60 units for undergraduates.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Environmental Design