Apr 22, 2024  
2014-2015 University Catalog (Revised 01-05-2015) 
2014-2015 University Catalog (Revised 01-05-2015) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree

General Requirements

A candidate for the bachelor’s degree shall have

  1. completed the courses in one of the listed baccalaureate curricula with a minimum “C” grade average (GPA of 2.0) in the major (core and designated subplan) courses, in all college-level courses taken at Cal Poly Pomona, and in all completed college-level course work;
  2. completed the required general education courses;
  3. completed the required courses in American history and government, including state and local government. This requirement is met by completing PLS 201 and HST 202;
  4. completed at least one four-unit course that meets the American Cultural Perspectives Requirement;
  5. spent not less than three quarters in residence, two of these quarters immediately preceding graduation;
  6. earned not fewer than 50 quarter units in residence applicable to the bachelor’s degree; of which 36 units must be in upper division courses, 18 units must be in the major core, and 12 units in general education courses;
  7. earned a total number of grade points at least equal to twice the number of units attempted (achieve a “C” grade average e.g. GPA of 2.0) in all courses taken at Cal Poly Pomona and overall coursework;
  8. a) completed all coursework requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree, with a minimum of 60 of those units being of 300- or 400- level
         courses, 18 of which must be in the major core; or
    b) completed all coursework requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree, with at least 27 of these units being in 300- or 400-level courses
         in the major core; or
    c) completed all coursework requirements for the Bachelor of Architecture degree, with 67.5 units required for the major and with at least 40.5
        of these units being in 300- or 400-level courses;
    d) no major will contain less than 54 quarter units of courses required in the core for the major. Within these 54 units must be at least 15 units
         of 100 and 200-level courses. The courses in the major core must be exclusive of those courses taken to satisfy the general education
  9. met the Graduation Writing Test requirement;
  10. had a graduation check. A graduation check request can be made in the Registrar’s Office when a senior has no more than 10 classes (40 units) left to take to complete degree requirements. Processing of the graduation check takes 60-90 days and the graduation check is sent to the student’s Cal Poly Pomona e-mail address. This policy is currently under revision. Please refer to the online catalog for the current policy.
  11. filed an application for graduation in the Registrar’s Office in the quarter in which all requirements will be completed, prior to the deadline listed in the academic calendar.

Determination of Graduation Requirements

In determining graduation requirements, students have three basic options open to them. They may decide to meet the degree requirements listed in the Cal Poly Pomona university catalog at the time they first entered the university, or they may decide to use the requirements listed in the university catalog at the time of their graduation, or they may elect to use the requirements in effect at the time they began study at a CSU campus or a California community college.

At Cal Poly Pomona, all colleges/schools evaluate incoming students on the current curriculum for their major/core and support areas. Questions on this matter should be directed to the student’s advisor or department chair.

Whenever a student changes major, while this action is not considered a break in enrollment status, he/she may elect to use either the major department degree graduation requirements published in the Cal Poly Pomona university catalog at the time the major was changed or the requirements in the catalog at the time of graduation.

California community college students transferring to Cal Poly Pomona without a break in enrollment status will be evaluated on the graduation requirements listed in the Cal Poly Pomona university catalog at the time of entrance to Cal Poly Pomona. Students may elect in writing to the Registrar’s Office to fulfill graduation requirements at the time they began attending a California community college or in effect at the time of graduation. After entry to Cal Poly Pomona, any change of status or major will cause them to come under the major degree catalog provisions valid at the time of the change. Also see “General Education” section in this catalog regarding transfer and change of major students and GE certification.

Students who are not in attendance for more than two consecutive quarters in any given calendar year are considered to have broken enrollment status. This will affect both major and other degree requirements and may require additional course work for degree completion.

If a student wishes to complete requirements at another institution, that work must be completed within one (1) semester or two (2) quarters of last enrollment at Cal Poly Pomona.

Participation in Graduation Ceremonies

Undergraduate students may apply for graduation and/or participate in June commencement ceremonies if they have no more than eight units remaining to fulfill the graduation requirements, and are in good academic standing (2.00 GPA for Cal Poly Pomona coursework, major core GPA and 2.00 for all cumulative coursework) at the end of the term prior to that in which the student applies to graduate.

Graduate students who have not completed all of their graduation requirements, including the GWT, may not participate in the commencement ceremonies

Requirement in Mathematics Proficiency

All students must demonstrate a base level math competency. This may be done by taking an approved course in mathematics or statistics. The following courses have been judged to meet this requirement: MAT 106 , MAT 114 , MAT 115 , MAT 116 , MAT 120 , MAT 125 , MAT 130 , MAT 191  or STA 120 . Transfer students will satisfy this requirement by taking an equivalent course which may also be used to meet the CSU General Education quantitative reasoning requirement. Intermediate Algebra taken at a Community College will not meet this requirement, nor will it be considered acceptable to meet the quantitative reasoning requirement.

Prerequisite coursework for MAT 106 , MAT 114 , MAT 120 , MAT 125 , MAT 130 , MAT 191 , MAT 194 , and STA 120  must have been completed within 3 quarters or 2 semesters.

Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

All students subject to degree requirements listed in the 1977-78 and later general catalogs must demonstrate competency in writing skills as a requirement for graduation. Based on action taken by the Cal Poly Pomona Academic Senate in 1978, writing competence at Cal Poly Pomona is assessed primarily by means of a written test. All persons who receive undergraduate, graduate, or external degrees from Cal Poly Pomona must pass the Graduation Writing Test (GWT). The test is available to undergraduates at the completion of 90 units and for graduates upon admission.

The test must be taken by the quarter following the completion of 120 units for undergraduates, or by the completion of 8 units for graduate students. If the GWT is not taken by this time, a hold will be placed on a student’s records. While the student’s records are on hold, registration will not be allowed nor will transcripts of credits be released.

Under certain conditions a student can fulfill the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirements by successfully completing a course; CPU 401, offered through the University Writing Center. A student may also, under special circumstances request to have the GWT requirements waived.  An undergraduate who had the GWT requirement waived will need to take it and pass it if he/she returns to Cal Poly Pomona as graduate students.

Important information about the appeals process for the test is contained in the GWT Study Guide and the Information Bulletin, available to all students. They may be obtained from the Test Center, Building 98, Room P2-4.

Minimum Grade Point Average

In order to graduate, a student must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in all university coursework as well as a 2.0 in his or her major coursework (e.g. core and designated subplan courses). If an undergraduate student, at the time of the graduation check, has less than a 2.0 GPA in the major, the student can raise the major GPA to a minimum of 2.0 by the following courses of action:

  1. Attainment of sufficient grades in all remaining major courses in the student’s program;
  2. Attainment of sufficient grades in all remaining major (core) course in the student’s program plus the use of the Repeated Course Policy. (Refer to “Repetition of Courses” section in this catalog.)
  3. Use of the Academic Renewal Policy, which allows the removal of up to three quarters or two semester of previous academic work from baccalaureate degree consideration. (Refer to the “Academic Renewal” section in this catalog.)

A student may not substitute a support course or any other course as a major course after the major course has been taken. Further, this university has the right to prescribe that any particular graduation requirement be met within seven (7) years. For further details on this prescription please see the Associate Provost, Building 98.

General Education Requirements

Cal Poly Pomona’s General Education Program is designed to help students to succeed in their chosen field, adapt to a changing workplace, contribute to their communities, and become lifelong learners. It provides essential skills and knowledge through a framework that enhances students’ understanding of basic disciplines and encourages an appreciation of the complexity of all knowledge.

Goals and Measurable Outcomes

I. Acquire foundational skills and capacities.               
       a.    Write and speak effectively to various audiences.
       b.    Locate, evaluate, and responsibly use and share data employing information and communication technologies.
       c.    Construct arguments based on sound evidence and reasoning to support an opinion or conclusion.   
       d.    Apply and communicate quantitative arguments using tables, graphs, and equations.

 II. Develop an understanding of various branches of knowledge and their interrelationships.
      a.    Apply scientific methods and models to draw quantitative and qualitative conclusions about the physical and natural world.
      b.    Analyze major literary, philosophical, historical, or artistic works and describe their aesthetic, historical, and cultural significance in society.
      c.    Analyze concepts, theories, and methods pertaining to cultural, economic, historical, political, or social institutions.
      d.    Integrate concepts, theories, and examples from more than one field of study to identify problems, draw conclusions, and construct
              original ideas.

 III. Develop social and global knowledge.
      a.    Describe the historical development of diverse cultures and analyze the role that cultural diversity plays in shaping core institutions and
             practices of individuals and societies.
      b.    Apply principles, methods, value systems, and ethics to social issues confronting local and global communities.

IV. Develop capacities for integration and lifelong learning. 
       a.    Analyze the behavior of individuals within the context of the social and natural environment, human sexuality, physical and mental health,
              and stages of life.
      b.    Understand the role that the acquisition of a recreation, avocation, or artistic skill plays in an individual’s physiological and psychological
      c.    Understand the importance of active engagement in communities for the betterment of personal and public life.

Students must complete a minimum of twelve quarter units of upper division general education which may be taken no sooner than the quarter in which the student achieves upper division status. Twelve quarter units of the total general education program must be completed in residence at Cal Poly Pomona.

Questions related to general education requirements should be directed to the Office of Academic Programs, Building 98.

General Education-Approved Coursework and Unit Distribution

Approved courses and unit distributions to meet the general education requirements are listed in the catalog section “General Education.” The framework, guidelines, and coursework approved to meet general education requirements may change subsequent to the publication of this catalog. Students who change majors or otherwise have a break in status may find that they are subject to new degree requirements. Careful academic and career planning is essential.

General Education for Transfer Coursework

Transfer students may satisfy CSU lower division General Education requirements through certification of courses that satisfy the CSU General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). Contact your community college counselor for more details.

Limited Enrollment-Courses Open to Majors Only

Because of impaction in certain academic majors, enrollment in courses within these programs may be limited to approved majors only. Certain exceptions are possible with written permission of the instructor and the department chair by an academic petition. 

Scholastic Requirements

Each student is expected to meet the academic standards required by the state, the university and by the instructor of a course. While class attendance is not recorded officially by the University, students are expected to attend all class meetings. Instructors’ standards, particularly as they impact  grades, must be explained in the syllabus made available in each class near the beginning of the quarter. It is the students’ responsibility to make themselves aware of each faculty member’s guidelines by carefully reading the syllabus.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the instructor in advance of any planned absence and to request arrangements to make up academic work that is missed for any reason. The instructor is the judge of the validity of the reasons for absence and of what arrangements, if any, are to be provided for the student to make up class work. Instructors may require students to provide documentation for excused absences. It must be recognized that not all learning activities and exercises related to a class can be replicated.

It is possible for a student to have three final examinations scheduled for the same day. If that happens, the student has the liberty of asking the professor of the middle exam to pick a mutually convenient time for the exam.

Effective Fall 2009, students may not re-enroll in courses where a grade of C or better has already been attained. Students may enroll in, but may not receive credit for, courses that are prerequisites to courses already passed with a C or better (e.g., No credit will be awarded for MAT 106 after completion of MAT 114 with a C or better.) Exceptions from these policies may be requested by submitting the General Academic Petition form to the Academic Programs Office. Students who wish to review course material may enroll in the course on an audit (“AU”) basis.

Students may not enroll in courses which have prerequisites without having successfully completed such prerequisites with the appropriate passing grade as designated by the offering department.

Academic Standing

Uniform minimum standards for academic probation, subject to disqualification, and disqualification are in effect at all California State University campuses. A student is considered to be in good standing when a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) for all university level work attempted and for all such work attempted at Cal Poly Pomona is earned.

If a student’s GPA remains below 2.0 for more than three consecutive quarters, the student will not be certified for veterans educational benefits until his/her academic status is restored to good standing.

  1. Early Warning. In order to achieve early intervention to assist students by providing an early warning system, all undergraduate students with a Cal Poly GPA of less than 2.2 will have an advising hold placed systematically on their record. Students will be placed on academic probation, subject to disqualification, or disqualified under the following conditions:
  2. Academic Probation. A student will be placed on academic probation if the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 (C) either for all college-level work attempted, for all college-level work attempted at Cal Poly Pomona, or all work attempted in the major. The student will be advised of probation status in writing at the end of each quarter.

    Students on probation will have advising holds placed on their record the following quarter. These students will not be able to register until they have cleared this hold with their major department and have been counseled as to how to regain good standing. An advising contract may be required by the major department. A student’s status may change from probation directly to academic disqualification without having been in the Subject to Disqualification status.
  3. Subject to Disqualification. A student will be subject to disqualification if the Cal Poly Pomona or cumulative grade point average falls below 1.5 for freshmen, 1.7 for sophomores, 1.9 for juniors, and 1.95 for seniors.

    Students will be advised in writing of their subject to disqualification status as soon as possible following the end of the quarter. Each academic unit may exercise the option to disqualify a student in Subject to Disqualification status due to a lack of adherence to advisement worksheets, failure to make progress in the major, or follow faculty advisement.
  4. Academic Disqualification. Students on probation or subject to disqualification will be disqualified at the end of any quarter if:
    1. a freshman (less than 45 quarter units of university work completed) or sophomore (45 to 89 quarter units of university work completed) is 22.5 or more grade points below a 2.0 (C average) in either the cumulative GPA or Cal Poly Pomona GPA;
    2. a junior (90 to 134 quarter units of university work completed) is 13.5 or more grade points below a 2.0 (C average);
    3. a senior (135 or more quarter units of university work completed) is 9 or more grade points below a 2.0 (C average).

Notification of academic disqualification is sent as soon as possible following the end of the quarter. Disqualification supersedes any contract or worksheet completed.

A student who is disqualified on the basis of their grade point balance will not be allowed to attend for at least one quarter, normally the quarter following notification of disqualification.

Students have the right to appeal their eligibility to enroll by completing the Disqualification Appeal Student Information Sheet available in the Registrar’s Office and submit to the Lead Records Specialist. Except in extraordinary circumstances, appeals will be considered only if the student’s CPP and overall grade point average, during the quarter subsequent to disqualification, have improved enough to remove the student from disqualification status. Students will be notified of their College Appeals Committee’s decision no later than the last day to register for the quarter in question. A successful appeal request is considered a reinstatement. However, no reinstatement petition or advising contract is required. Students may not appeal a second disqualification.

Upon initial disqualification, students may request consideration for reinstatement only after presentation to the university of satisfactory evidence that they have improved their chances of scholastic success. The Petition for Academic Reinstatement must be filed in the Registrar’s Office after approval by the student’s major department chair and the college dean.

After reinstatement, students must be removed from disqualification status by the time they have attempted an additional 24 units in baccalaureate level courses. This coursework must be agreed upon by the student and the department chair at the time of reinstatement.

Effective summer 2009, undergraduate students who do not remove the disqualification within the 24-unit limit and academically disqualified undergraduate students who attain good standing or probationary status and then become disqualified again are no longer eligible to enroll at the university.

Administrative-Academic Probation. An undergraduate or graduate student may be placed on administrative-academic probation by action of appropriate campus officials for any of the following reasons:

  1. Withdrawal from all or a substantial portion of a program of studies in two successive terms or in any three terms. (Note: A student whose withdrawal is directly associated with a chronic or recurring disability or its treatment is not to be subject to Administrative- Academic probation for such withdrawal.)
  2. Repeated failure to progress toward the stated degree objective or other program objective, including that resulting from assignment of 15 units of NC, when such failure appears to be due to circumstances within the control of the student.
  3. Failure to comply, after due notice, with an academic requirement or regulation which is routine for all students or a defined group of students (examples: failure to complete English Placement Test, failure to complete a required practicum, failure to complete a specified number of units as a condition for receiving student  financial aid).

When such action is taken, the student shall be notified in writing and shall be provided with the conditions for removal from probation and the circumstances which would lead to disqualification, should probation not be removed.

Administrative-Academic Disqualification. A student who has been placed on administrative-academic probation may be disqualified from further attendance if:

  1. The conditions for removal of administrative-academic probation are not met within the period specified.
  2. The student becomes subject to academic disqualification while on administrative-academic probation.
  3. The student becomes subject to administrative-academic probation for the same or similar reason for which he has been placed on administrative-academic probation previously, although not currently in such status.

When such action is taken, the student shall receive written notification including an explanation of the basis for the action.

In addition, an appropriate campus administrator may disqualify a student who at any time during enrollment has demonstrated behavior so contrary to the standards of the profession for which the student is preparing as to render him/her unfit for the profession. In such cases, disqualification will occur immediately upon notice to the student, which shall include an explanation of the basis for the action, and the campus may require the student to discontinue enrollment as of the date of the notification.

Satisfactory Progress

Full-time undergraduate students are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward their degree goal when they have completed a minimum of 36 units per academic year of which a minimum of 24 units directly apply to satisfying the core, support, and/or directed elective course requirements of their major curriculum according to their Degree Progress Report (or until such time as all core and support course requirements are satisfied). Good standing is defined as 2.0 GPA.

Half-time students are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward their degree goals when they have completed a minimum of 18 units per academic year of which a minimum of 12 units directly apply to satisfying the core, support, and/or directed elective course requirements of their major curriculum according to their Degree Progress Report (or until such time as all core and support course requirements are satisfied). 

Declaration of Minors and Additional Majors (revised 09/19/2014)

Students may declare up to two minors in addition to their primary major if all academic programs can be completed within 36 units above the number of units required for their primary major.  Students must receive the approval of the chair of the department offering the proposed academic program.

Students may declare one major in addition to their primary major if all academic programs can be completed within 48 units above the number of units required for their primary major.  Students must receive the approval of the chair of the department offering the proposed academic program.

Minors or double majors may be declared at any time in a students’ career but students are strongly encourage to declare minors and double majors early in their career.  After earning 135 totals units, students may declare a minor or additional major only if they are in good academic standing and have the approval of the chair of the department offering the proposed academic program.

Credits from transfer units, non-traditional college-level work (including AP, IB, and CLEP examinations, and credit by challenge examinations), and military service in excess of 90 quarter units shall be excluded from the unit count for the purposes of the minor and double major policies.*

Students may request exceptions to the minor and double major policy by filing a general academic petition.

*Students often have credits from these sources that are not applicable to their Cal Poly Pomona degree program for a variety of reasons, including unfamiliarity with how tertiary education works (especially first generation college students), poor advising at Community College, exploration/change of career direction, credits for sports, etc.  The intention of this policy is to count up to 90 quarter units that likely fulfill GE and academic program requirements at Cal Poly Pomona without prohibiting transfer students from minoring or double majoring if they have a large number of units that do not further their Cal Poly Pomona degree.

Second Baccalaureate Degree

Admission to seek an additional bachelor’s degree for holders of such degrees is processed by the Admissions Office in the same way as other undergraduate admissions.

A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution must meet the curricular requirements for the second baccalaureate degree as well as minimum residence requirements established by this university. A minimum of 50 units must be taken in residence and, of the 50 units, 36 shall be earned in upper division courses with 18 of these upper division units being in courses in the major.

Advanced standing will be granted for work completed for the original baccalaureate degree as applicable to the new degree objective. Work completed at this university prior to awarding of the original baccalaureate degree shall be counted as appropriate toward the residence requirements for the second degree. Any change in general degree requirements (such as general education) will have to be met in order to receive the second baccalaureate degree.

Transfer Credit

A student who has attended accredited two-year or four-year colleges will be given full credit for college level courses successfully completed. Credit for courses taken at other institutions counts toward fulfillment of curriculum requirements when applicable; other courses count as elective credit. Cal Poly Pomona does not accept credit for courses in religious practices.

A maximum of 70 semester units (105 quarter units) of community college course credit may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree. No credit may be allowed for professional courses in education taken at a community college.

A maximum of 36 quarter units of extended university course credit may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree. Units students take over the 36 college level transferable limit-through Cal Poly Pomona or other Continuing Education or Extended Education programs or Open University coursework-may satisfy a specific course requirement, but only 36 units may be considered by the university as transferable college level work that may be counted towards satisfying the minimum units required for a degree.

No limit is placed upon the number of transferable credits from a four year college or university, except that no student will be granted a bachelor’s degree in any curriculum without having met the general unit, grade, and residence requirements.

No credit will be given for work taken at an unaccredited institution until the student has successfully completed 30 quarter units of work at this university. At that time, and upon recommendation of the student’s major department, credit may be given for the unaccredited work.

Once a student has commenced work at this university, approval of the advisor must be secured prior to taking courses at another institution for credit toward major requirements at this university. (See also concurrent enrollment section and eligibility for intercollegiate athletics section.)

Course Numbering System

Courses are grouped into number series indicating the level at which they are presented.

1-99 Courses carrying no credit toward degree requirements.
100-299 Courses taught primarily in the freshman and sophomore years and generally introductory in nature. Graduate credit is not allowed.
300-399 Courses primarily for advanced undergraduate students, usually having prerequisites, bearing graduate degree credit upon the approval of the advisor.
400-499 Courses for advanced undergraduates, and graduate, and post-baccalaureate students; courses 461, 462 and 463 shall not apply to master’s degree requirements.
500-599 Courses open only to graduate and post-baccalaureate students, or seniors with prior approval.
600-699 Courses open only to unconditionally classified graduate students.
700-899 Courses open only to students in a doctoral program.

Courses including specialized workshops, seminars, and institutes designed to provide professional and occupational improvement. Not acceptable for credit towards a master’s degree.

Credit Hour

As of July 1, 2011 federal law (Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations, sections 600.2 and 600.4) requires all accredited institutions to comply with the federal definition of the credit hour. For all CSU degree programs and courses bearing academic credit, the “credit hour” is defined as “the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that
reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or
  1. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.”

A credit hour is assumed to be a 50-minute period. In courses in which “seat time” does not apply, a credit hour may be measured by an equivalent amount of work, as demonstrated by student achievement.

Grading Information

Assignment of grades and change of grades are the prerogative of the instructor of record. However, when circumstances necessitate that a grade change occur without the signature of the instructor of record, the change of grade form must be accompanied by a memo to the Registrar’s Office, signed by the College Dean or the Department Chair, stating the reason for the absence of the instructor of record’s signature.

Students may appeal grades that they consider to be unfair. See section on “Grade Appeals Policy” for more details.

Grading System

Grades have the following functions:

  1. To recognize performance in a particular course.
  2. To act as a basis of screening for other courses, programs or graduate school.
  3. To inform the student of his/her level of achievement in a particular course.
  4. To stimulate the student to learn.
  5. To inform prospective employers of the student’s achievements.
The following grading system is in effect for undergraduates:
  A Superior Work
Indicates originality and independent work and a thorough mastery of the subject matter/skill; achievement so outstanding that it is normally attained only by students doing truly exemplary work.
  B Very Good Work
Indicates clearly better than adequate competence in the subject matter/skill; achievement of quality higher than adequate, but not of exemplary quality.
  C Adequate Work
Indicates that classroom work, outside assignments, and examinations have been completed at a level indicating adequate competence in the subject matter/skill.
  D Minimally Acceptable Work
Indicates achievement which meets the minimum requirements of the course, but at a level indicating less than adequate competence in the subject matter/skill.
  F Unacceptable Work
Indicates achievement that fails to meet the minimum requirements of the course and is clearly below university quality; not a passing grade.
  CR Credit, for undergraduate coursework equivalent to a grade of “C” or better, or graduate coursework equivalent to a grade of “B” or better. (Units attempted are not included in GPA)
  NC No credit, for undergraduate coursework equivalent to a grade of “C-” or lower, or graduate coursework equivalent to a grade of “B-” or lower. (Units attempted are not included in GPA)
  I Incomplete Authorized indicates that a portion of required course work has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. An Incomplete grade is not included in the GPA.
  IC Incomplete Charged (Units are included in GPA)
  RP Report in Progress (Units attempted are included in GPA after final grade is assigned)
  W Withdrawal (Units attempted are not included in GPA)
  AU Audit (Units attempted are not included in GPA)
  WU Withdrawal Unauthorized - An unofficial withdrawal from a course. (Units attempted are included in GPA)
  RD Report Delayed (Units attempted are included in the GPA after final grade is assigned.)

At the discretion of the instructor, plus and minus (+/-) grading symbols may also be granted. The grade points associated with each grade are as follows:

  A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F= 0
CR = 0
NC = 0
I = 0
IC = 0
RP = 0
W = 0
WU = 0
AU= 0
RD = 0


An Audit grade (AU) signifies that a student has audited a course through an approved process. Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor; provided that enrollment in a course as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Auditors are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested prior to the last day to add classes. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the third week of instruction.

Credit/No Credit (CR/NC)

Courses will be graded on a CR/NC basis as follows:

  1. Mandatory CR/NC Grading
    1. Some courses, as indicated by their catalog descriptions are offered for CR/NC grading only. Such courses are designated by the sponsoring department. Enrollment in these courses is not counted in the 24-unit limit or the 2-course/8 unit limit described in IIA below.
    2. All challenge examination credit will be awarded on CR/NC basis only. Credit for courses in student’s major (core) will be given letter grades only.
  2. Optional CR/NC Grading
    A student may elect to be graded on a CR/NC basis in those courses which are designated by the University as being approved for optional grading. Courses designated for CR/NC grading will be shown in the catalog with the bold-faced dagger symbol (+). When a student elects CR/NC grading, the following conditions apply:
    1. A student may take up to two courses per quarter, not to exceed eight units, on a CR/NC basis. The total number of units which are graded CR/NC may not exceed 24 units for all college level work to be counted towards a bachelor’s degree, including all transfer work, and eight units for a master’s degree including all transfer work.
    2. A student who opts for CR/NC must already be regularly enrolled in the course. Before the end of the third week of classes, the student must file the CR/NC request form in the Registrar’s Office. A student may not change from one grading option to the other after the end of the third week of classes.
    3. A course may not be repeated as CR/NC if the student has previously been enrolled in that course for the traditional grading option. A course may be repeated for CR/NC only if a grade of NC has been earned previously.
    4. Undergraduate students and post-baccalaureate students seeking a second degree will be given a grade of CR for coursework equivalent to a grade C or better in any course for which CR/NC grading is approved and in which the student is properly enrolled. “NC” will be assigned for coursework equivalent to “C-,” or lower grades.
      For graduate courses designated as mandatory CR/NC, the grade of “CR” will be given for coursework equivalent to a grade of “B” or better. “NC” will be given for coursework equivalent to a “B-,” or lower grade. This will apply to both graduate and undergraduate students who are enrolled in graduate courses.
    5. Courses in the student’s major (“Core Courses in Major” on the student’s curriculum sheet) may not be taken as CR/NC unless designated as mandatory CR/NC grading.
    6. To be eligible to opt for CR/NC grading, an undergraduate student must have earned at least a 2.0 GPA in all Cal Poly Pomona work attempted. (The 2.0 GPA requirement is waived in the case of non-matriculated students having no previous work recorded at Cal Poly Pomona.) A graduate student must have earned at least a 3.0 GPA. New students enrolling at Cal Poly Pomona for the first time are eligible if they were admitted on a “clear” basis.
  3. Grades of CR/NC are not included in the student’s grade point average. Courses for which CR is recorded will be counted as units completed only.
  4. These regulations apply to all students enrolling at Cal Poly Pomona including non-matriculated students in the Extended University program, summer session, and workshops who wish to elect courses on a Credit/No Credit grading basis.


The symbol “I” (Incomplete Authorized) indicates that a clearly identifiable portion of the course requirements cannot be completed for serious and compelling reasons. An Incomplete shall not be assigned when it is necessary for the student to attend a portion of the class during a future term.

“I” grades are assigned at the request of the student and granted at the discretion of the instructor. A failing grade is not an acceptable reason to request or grant an “I”. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the conditions that must be met to complete the course, and the associated deadline, not to exceed one year, which must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. The Contract for Incomplete Grade is used to record these conditions. This written record protects both students and faculty. Copies of this Contract are to be filed in the Department Office, Registrar’s Office and given to the student. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated.

An “I” must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. However, the time period set forth by the instructor on the Contract prevails. This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work within the time period set by the instructor will result in the “I” being converted to an “IC” symbol, unless the faculty member designates a specific letter grade at the time the Incomplete is assigned to replace the “I” in the student’s record.

Although the one-year maximum for incomplete grades is the general university policy, exceptions can be made in special cases, such as military service and serious health problems. The extension of an “I” grade in a course shall be allowed only one time, for a maximum extension of one year. The General Academic Petition is used to file such requests.

Effective fall 2009, students may not re-enroll in courses for which an “I” grade has been assigned. In cases where repetition of the course is deemed appropriate, the student should be assigned a withdrawal (“W”) or failing grade rather than an “I” grade.

Report Delayed

The “RD” symbol may be used where a delay in the reporting of a grade is due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. The symbol may be assigned by the Registrar’s Office only and, if assigned, shall be replaced by a substantive grading symbol as soon as possible upon submission of a Grade Change Form. An “RD” shall not be used in calculating grade point average or progress points.

Report in Progress

The “RP” symbol is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one academic quarter. The symbol indicates that work in progress has been evaluated as satisfactory to date but that the assignment of a precise grade must await the completion of additional coursework. Cumulative enrollment in units attempted may not exceed the total number applicable to the student’s educational objective. All work is to be completed within one calendar year of the date of first assignment of RP and a final grade will be assigned to all segments of the course on the basis of overall quality. Any extension of this time period must receive prior authorization by the advisor, department chair and college dean on a General Academic Petition. For master’s degree thesis or projects (695, 696), the time limit is two years. The “RP” symbol is authorized for specific courses, for example, courses numbered as 461, 462, 690-699, etc. The “RP” grade is not used in calculating the grade point average.

Official Withdrawal

The “W” symbol indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the fifth day of instruction through the end of the eighth week of instruction with the approval of appropriate campus representatives. It carries no connotation of the student performance and is not used in calculating grade point average. A “W” will not be recorded for a class unless the student has officially withdrawn from the class.

Students may withdraw after the fifth day through the fifteenth day (third week) of instruction via the BroncoDirect system. Withdrawal from classes after the 15th day of instruction until the end of the eighth week of instruction is permissible only for serious and compelling reasons. To request to withdraw from classes after the third week of instruction, students must submit to the Registrar’s Office a Request for Class Withdrawal for Serious and Compelling Reasons Form with the necessary approval signatures. After the eighth week of instruction through the last day of finals week, withdrawals will only be permitted for serious and compelling reasons beyond the students’ control.

Effective fall 2009, undergraduates are limited to 28 units of recorded course withdrawals, i.e., where students receive “W” grades for the classes. Course withdrawals prior to fall 2009 and withdrawals approved through the Retroactive Withdrawal Petition process will not contribute to this limit. After the fifth day of instruction through the last day of finals week, students whose reasons for withdrawing from classes are beyond their control may request that such class withdrawals not contribute toward the 28-unit limit. Approved requests for this exception will be indicated by the Dean’s signature and the Associate Provost on the Request for Class Withdrawal for Serious and Compelling Reasons Form.

Withdrawal Unauthorized

The symbol “WU” indicates that an enrolled student did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average and grade point computation this symbol is equivalent to an “F”. The “WU” is also assigned when a student does not drop a course properly, such as when a student withdraws from a course without authorization (e.g. no approved withdrawal form is on file in the Registrar’s Office). If the appropriate withdrawal form is on file, this “WU” will be replaced by a “W” in the Registrar’s Office and a “W” will appear on the final grade sheet returned to the instructor and on the student’s grade report.

Grade Appeals Policy and Procedure

Under the provisions of Executive Order 1037, “Assignment of Grades and Grade Appeals,” and the University’s “Statement of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Grievance Procedures,” students may appeal grades that they consider to be unfair.

The Executive Order governs the assignment of grades by faculty and requires an appeal procedure to ensure that the rights and responsibilities of faculty and students are properly recognized and protected. Occasionally, a circumstance will prevent assignment of an earned grade or will cause an assigned grade to be questioned by a student.

The following policy has been adopted by Cal Poly Pomona to provide the mechanism to deal with such unusual occurrences:

Course grades assigned by instructors are presumed to be correct. It is the responsibility of the student who appeals an assigned grade to demonstrate clerical error, prejudice, or capriciousness in the assignment of the grade, or that a reasonable accommodation for a documented disability was requested and not appropriately provided; otherwise, the judgment of the instructor is final.

A student who believes that a course grade has been assigned inappropriately must follow the proper steps in the appeal process, observing the time limits for completion of various steps in the process as follows:

Step 1: The student should speak face-to-face with the instructor during the first three weeks of the quarter following the assignment of the grade. Note: If the grade is assigned in the spring quarter, the student should follow these procedures in the following fall quarter. If the instructor is on leave, on sabbatical, or is not currently on the faculty including FERP faculty at the time of the appeal, the University shall attempt to contact the instructor on behalf of the student.*

If an appointment cannot be arranged, the student should attempt to communicate with the instructor by phone, e-mail or fax. If a grade has been assigned in error, the instructor can quickly correct the error by submitting a change of grade form to the Registrar’s Office.

Step 2: If the grade dispute is not resolved with the instructor and the student intends to appeal the grade, the student must appeal to the next level as soon as possible, but no later than the sixth week of the following quarter. In most cases, the student will appeal to the chair of the academic department that offered the class. If the instructor is a department chair, the student should appeal to the dean of the college that offered the class. If the instructor is a dean, the student should appeal to the Provost. The person to whom the student appealed will discuss the issue with the instructor and respond to the student, usually within two weeks.

*Note: the grade appeal process is suspended during the summer quarter when fewer students and faculty members are expected to be on campus. The grade appeal process is also suspended if the faculty member is on leave or on sabbatical. Thus, for spring quarter, “the following quarter” will be the following fall quarter. For appeals of summer quarter grades, the following quarter is the following fall quarter. For appeals when the faculty member is either on leave or on sabbatical “the following quarter” is the quarter the faculty member returns to CPP.

Step 3: If the student is still not satisfied after receiving the response from this second level of appeal, the student may submit a written statement within ten working days to the University Course Grade Appeal Committee through the Office of the Associate Provost. The formal grade appeal should be submitted prior to the end of the regular quarter following the quarter for which the grade was assigned.

Step 4: The Chair of the University Course Grade Appeal Committee will forward the student’s statement to the instructor. The instructor will be asked to respond in writing by a specified date (normally within two weeks). The student’s statement and the instructor’s response will then be reviewed by the entire committee, normally within two weeks of receipt of the instructor’s response.

The Committee will take one of the following actions:

  1. Request additional information from the student and/or the instructor.
  2. If the University Course Grade Appeal Committee finds that the student has grounds for complaint based on discrimination, caprice, or clerical error, then the instructor of record will be asked to reevaluate the grade. If the instructor refuses to reevaluate the grade or the instructor’s reevaluation results in the same grade, then the chair of the academic department that offered the class shall be asked to find a qualified faculty member with academic training comparable to the instructor of record to evaluate the student’s work and assign a grade. If the instructor is a department chair, the dean of the college that offered the class shall be asked to find a qualified faculty member with academic training comparable to the instructor of record to evaluate the student’s work and assign a grade. If the instructor is a dean, the provost shall be asked to find a qualified faculty member with academic training comparable to the instructor of record to evaluate the student’s work and assign a grade.
  3. Recommend to the instructor that the grade be maintained as given.
  4. Call for a formal hearing.

Step 5: When the Committee has made its recommendation, the student will be notified of it in writing, and be given a copy of the instructor’s written response to the student’s statement. This grade appeal procedure may take six to eight weeks to complete. The outcome of the formal grade appeal procedure is final; there is no higher level of appeal.

The Office of Academic Programs shall ensure that the university website, catalog and other publications reflect this policy. Additional information on preparing a written grade appeal is available from the Office of the Associate Provost or the website at http://www.csupomona.edu/~academic/programs.

Repetition of Courses

Effective fall 2009, undergraduate students are not permitted to re-enroll in classes in which a grade of C or higher has been assigned. Individual courses can be repeated for no more two times for a maximum of three attempts. Courses attempted prior to fall 2009 will contribute to the limit of three attempts. Effective fall 2009, students may repeat no more than 42 quarter units. Units of courses repeated for which grade forgiveness was granted prior to fall 2009 will contribute to this 42-unit limit. Units attempted for other courses repeated prior to fall 2009 that are still included in the calculation of the GPA (not forgiven) will not contribute to this limit. These limits do not apply to courses that have explicitly been designated as repeatable.

Grades received in courses taken in excess of this limit can be used to satisfy content and prerequisite requirements, but will not be used in GPA calculations. These courses will appear on students’ transcripts.

A waiver of this policy the policies related to repetition of courses will be granted only to students with a minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 and documentation of demonstrated effort. Students requesting a waiver must submit a General Academic Petition to the Office of Academic Programs.

Grade Forgiveness

Effective fall 2009, active students may attempt to improve their grade point average by seeking Grade Forgiveness after repeating a course for which a grade lower than a C was issued. Grade Forgiveness can be applied for a maximum of 16 quarter units and only to courses taken for undergraduate credit and before awarding of a bachelor’s degree. Units of courses for which grade forgiveness was granted prior to fall 2009 will contribute to this 16-unit limit. When Grade Forgiveness is granted, the grade and units for the excluded course work will not be used in the calculation of the grade point average and the units will not be used to satisfy the requirements toward graduation. The excluded course work will remain on the student’s permanent record, but will bear the Grade Forgiven annotation. Grade Forgiveness will not be granted for courses for which the original grade was the result of a finding of academic dishonesty.

A waiver of this policy will be granted only to students with a minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 and documentation of demonstrated effort. Students requesting a waiver must submit a General Academic Petition to the Office of Academic Programs. 

For Grade Forgiveness to apply, the course must be repeated at Cal Poly Pomona.  Courses repeated at another college or university, regardless of its equivalency to the Cal Poly Pomona class, will not be eligible for Grade Forgiveness.

To request for Grade Forgiveness on any course, students must have the Grade Forgiveness through Course Repetition Form signed by their academic advisor and filed in the Registrar’s Office, CLA Building, 2nd floor. To ensure that the latest form is being used, students are encouraged to download the Course Repetition form from the Registrar’s Office Forms & Services website, http://www.csupomona.edu/~registrar/forms-services/index.shtml.

Academic Renewal

It is permissible for an undergraduate student to request the removal of up to three quarters or two semesters of previous academic work from baccalaureate degree consideration. Application for Academic Renewal is made during the quarter in which the applicant plans to graduate. The following conditions must prevail:

  1. Five years have elapsed since the most recent work to be disregarded was completed and the student’s GPA is too low to qualify for graduation.
  2. Since the completion of the work to be disregarded, the applicant has completed, at this university, 22 quarter units with at least a 3.0 GPA, 45 quarter units with at least a 2.5 GPA, or 67 quarter units with at least a 2.0 GPA. Work completed at any other institution shall not be used to satisfy this requirement.

The student may apply for removal of work from degree consideration in a letter to the Committee on Academic Renewal through the Associate Provost, Building 98. The letter shall specify which semester(s) or quarter(s) of previous work are to be removed from consideration with supporting statements providing evidence that:

  1. The work is substandard and not representative of the student’s present scholastic ability and level of performance.
  2. The level of performance represented by the work under consideration was due to described extenuating circumstances.
  3. The applicant would need to complete additional units of work and enroll for one or more additional quarters to qualify for the baccalaureate degree if the request is not approved.

If the committee acts favorably upon the request, the student’s academic record will be annotated to show that no work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward baccalaureate requirements. All work, whether or not disregarded, will remain on the student’s permanent academic record.

Retroactive Withdrawal

The administrative grade of “WU” will be given for a course if a student discontinues attendance and participation without officially dropping the course or withdrawing from the university. It is the sole responsibility of the student to formally drop courses by filing the appropriate forms with the Registrar’s Office in a timely manner. Retroactive Withdrawal will not be approved for students who did not withdraw from a course or courses because they did not report for the first meeting of a class and were not dropped.

When a student has received “WU” in all of the courses in which they enrolled during an academic quarter, the student may petition for retroactive withdrawal. The grades may be retroactively changed to the administrative grade of “W” if the student can demonstrate and document that serious and compelling reasons required their unofficial withdrawal from the university during the quarter in question and that the grades received were not earned (e.g. letter grades A-F).

Students who wish to apply for retroactive withdrawal must do so within one calendar year of the last day of the quarter in which they unofficially withdrew from the University. A student does not have to be enrolled in the university at the time the application for retroactive withdrawal is submitted.

Petition forms are available from the Office of Academic Programs, Building 98 T7-8, and must be submitted by the fifteenth day of classes in order to be considered by the Retroactive Withdrawal Committee for the current quarter.

Graduate Courses Taken By Undergraduates

An undergraduate may petition for up to thirteen quarter units of graduate coursework taken as an undergraduate student for undergraduate or postbaccalaureate credit providing that:

  1. the courses are at the 300, 400, or 500 level
  2. none of the courses to be taken for graduate credit is applied to the bachelor’s degree;
  3. the student has senior standing (has completed 135 quarter units) and an upper-division grade point average of 2.75 or better; some departments may specify a higher GPA;
  4. the petition is submitted before the end of the third week of the quarter in which the work is performed; retroactive credit will not be granted;
  5. the petition is endorsed by the course instructor, and approved by the Office of Academic Programs.

If the petition is approved, the courses for which such credit is requested will be identified on the transcript as undergraduate or postbaccalaureate coursework as applicable, and grades earned will be considered in the cumulative undergraduate or postbaccalaureate-GPA as applicable.  If no petition is filed, the coursework will be considered postbaccalaureate work.

Students may also petition to have undergraduate coursework taken as an undergraduate student for postbaccalaureate credit.  None of the courses can be applied to the bachelor’s degree.

Petitions for consideration of work taken as an undergraduate student will not be considered from students after completion of the undergraduate degree. 

When an undergraduate student takes a graduate course, there will be no differential evaluation procedure.  All students in the class will be considered graduate students and evaluated according to postbaccalaureate standards established by the associated graduate college.

Contact the Office of Academic Programs, Building 98-T7, Room 18, for further information.

Credit for Non-Traditional College-Level Work

Advanced Placement Examinations

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. Students who present scores of three or better will be granted up to six semester units (nine quarter units) of college credit. Students may not receive credit for a course for which they already have received credit from an AP examination. IGE students may use AP credit to substitute for a maximum of two courses in the IGE sequence. See the table “College Board Advanced Placement Examination Credit” for information about credit for specific exams. For additional information on Advanced Placement credit contact the Office of Academic Programs, or the Degree Progress and Evaluation Services, Registrar’s Office, both located in Building 98. 

College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination Credit {PDF}  

International Baccalaureate

International Baccalaureate courses designated as honors courses on the UC “a-f” list are awarded extra grade points for computation of the high school grade point average. Grades of 4 or higher for International Baccalaureate subjects taken at the higher level (HL) may receive up to 9 units of elective course credit at Cal Poly Pomona. Subjects taken at the subsidiary/ standard level (SL) will not receive credit. If a student has received Advanced Placement credit for a course, IB credit will not be given for the same course.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Examination Credit {PDF}  

CLEP Examinations

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona grants credit to those students who pass examinations that have been approved for credit systemwide. This information is subject to change. Contact the Office of Academic Programs, Building 98, for further information.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit {PDF}  

Credit by Challenge Examination

Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at Cal Poly Pomona. Only enrolled undergraduate students may challenge courses. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully. A student may not challenge more than 36 quarter units worth of coursework.

An approved Petition for Credit by Examination permits regularly enrolled students to obtain university credit for subject matter in which they are especially qualified through nontraditional education or experience. Students must not have previously received credit for any course containing similar or advanced material from the same subject matter field. Students are not permitted to obtain credit by examination unless all prerequisites for the course as specified in the University Catalog have been satisfied. Credit by examination will not be allowed for a course that is a prerequisite of a course which the student has already completed or in which the student is currently enrolled.

Challenge exams shall not be permitted as a means of earning a higher grade in a course. Once a student has enrolled in and earned a grade (passing or failing) in a course, the only way to earn a higher grade is to repeat the course and pay normal course unit fees. A course may be challenged only once.

No student, including resident, out of state, or foreign, shall be permitted by an instructor to sit in a class without enrolling either for audit or credit, and paying appropriate fees. Challenge exam credit will not be given for any course that has been audited. Units of credit received through this procedure may not apply toward the residence requirement for any of the degrees or credentials offered by the university.

A $5 fee per unit is charged for each challenge examination ($25 maximum). The length of the examination will be consistent with the unit value of the course. It may include written, oral, or skills tests, or a combination of all three types and will be sufficiently comprehensive to determine that the student has essentially the same knowledge and skills as those students who successfully complete the course are required to possess. Challenge examination credit is entered on the student’s permanent record. For courses in the student’s major, the credit is a letter grade. Other challenge exam credit is awarded on a CR/NC basis.

Detailed instructions for applying for credit by examination may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.

Credit for Noncollegiate Instruction

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of noncollegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, which has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges

California State Polytechnic University has been designated as an institutional member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of over 400 colleges and universities providing voluntary postsecondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, California State Polytechnic University recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences. SOC has been developed jointly by educational representatives of each of the Armed Services, the Office of the Secretary of Defense and a consortium of 13 leading national higher education associations; it is sponsored by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) and the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges (AACJC).

Credit for Military Service

Nine units of elective credit will be allowed toward a baccalaureate degree for a student with an honorable discharge from the military services of the United States who submits evidence of satisfactory completion of at least one year of active military service.

An additional 131/2 quarter units of elective credit will be allowed toward graduation to any student submitting evidence of receiving a commission in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps. Maximum total credit possible toward graduation for military service is 221/2 quarter units. Credit is not given for completion of the six-month reserve training programs or for college level general educational development tests.

Credit for specific courses may be allowed if the student has satisfactorily completed equivalent study in a military service school. The guidelines of the American Council on Education are followed in determining eligibility and approval must be granted by the department teaching the specific course for which credit is sought.

Credit for Continuing Education Course Work

Students taking more than 36 college level transferable quarter units through Cal Poly Pomona or other Continuing Education or Extended Education programs or Open University course work may satisfy a specific course requirement, but only 36 units may be considered by the University as transferable college level work which meets the minimum number of quarter units required for a degree.

Honors and Honorary Societies

Honor Lists

The Dean’s List, announced at the end of each quarter, honors undergraduate students who have completed at the University 12 or more letter grade units during the quarter with a 3.5 or better grade point average for Cal Poly coursework. Students taking preparatory coursework must obtain C (2.0) letter grades or better in their preparatory courses and make satisfactory progress toward completion of remediation requirements to remain on the Dean’s List.

The “President’s Honor List,” announced at the end of the spring quarter, honors undergraduate students who have a grade point average of 3.5 or better for completion at the University of 12 or more units during all three quarters of the academic year.

Honors at Graduation

The University grants honors at graduation to students who have demonstrated academic excellence during their career in higher education. The grade point average for the determination of honors is calculated on all grades earned at this institution as well as any other institution of higher education attended.

The honors designations with the grade point averages required are summa cum laude-3.80-4.00; magna cum laude-3.65-3.79; cum laude-3.50-3.64. Students who complete their graduation requirements in the summer, fall or winter quarters will have their GPA’s determined before the commencement program is printed and their designated honors will be identified in the program.

Students who complete their graduation requirements in the spring quarter will not have their final GPA’s determined until after the commencement program printing. In order to identify these students in the commencement program, their GPA as of the last winter quarter should be used as the determining GPA for graduation honors recognition. If the GPA status (as to Graduation Honors) changes for spring quarter graduates as a result of grades earned during the spring quarter, this will be recorded on their transcripts and on their diplomas. This status change will not occur in the commencement program. The number of status changes is expected to be minimal. Only students who have completed all of their graduation requirements before spring quarter or students who are registered and complete the balance of their graduation requirements in the spring quarter (as of the census day) will be eligible for honors at graduation. The label “Graduation Honors” is printed next to the student’s name in the commencement program and announced at the college convocations.

University Wide Honorary Societies

Sigma Xi

The members of the Society of the Sigma Xi are scholars who have produced significant research in the pure or applied sciences. The object of the society is to encourage original investigation in the physical, life, agricultural, earth, medical, and behavioral sciences, mathematics, and engineering. Membership is gained by being elected by an institutional chapter, by a duly authorized club, or by the Chapter-at-Large. The membership of the Cal Poly Pomona Sigma Xi Authorized Club consists of faculty and students. The Club has the authority to elect Associate Members.

Golden Key National Honor Society

The Golden Key National Honor Society is a non-profit organization which was founded by undergraduate students in 1977 at Georgia State University to recognize and encourage scholastic achievement and excellence among upper division students in all undergraduate fields of study. It is through the recognition of scholastic achievement, the presentation of scholarships to outstanding members, and the involvement of members in educational programs that the society promotes excellence in academics.

Phi Beta Delta

Phi Beta Delta is an honor society formed to recognize and encourage professional, intellectual, and personal achievements in international education. The Cal Poly Pomona chapter was founded in 1986 and at present primarily consists of students who have spent a year of study abroad in one of the 34 California State University overseas study programs in 16 different countries. Other students and also faculty and administrators may be invited to become members. The society fosters community and dialogue within an international perspective.

Alpha Lambda Delta

Alpha Lambda Delta is a national honor society open to freshmen who are full time students and rank in the top 20 percent of their freshman class at the end of their first quarter. Its goals include the promotion of high standards of learning. The Society has numerous awards, national workshops, program guidance and fellowships and loans for graduate and professional study.