Offered by: College of Environmental Design, Architecture Department
The Department of Architecture offers a program of study that leads to the degree, Master of Interior Architecture. This program is offered collaboratively by Cal Poly Pomona and UCLA Extension. At Cal Poly Pomona, the program is online and offered only through the College of Professional & Global Education (CPGE).
The Master of Interior Architecture is a professional degree (M.I.A.) and is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.
The Master of Interior Architecture program provides an opportunity for individuals with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree to pursue a rigorous program of part time study that prepares them to enter the field of Interior Architecture with the highest standards of professional practice. The program particularly serves career-change students seeking to fulfill a lifelong dream of becoming interior architecture professionals. A culmination Master’s project must be completed in this program before the Master of Interior Architecture degree is granted.
The M.I.A. program accepts students from varied academic backgrounds, including non-design disciplines, for a program requiring 42 units of graduate academic work. However, for students with no previous study in interior architecture, foundation course work precedes before gaining admission to the Master of Interior Architecture program. The foundation courses are offered by UCLA Extension and credit for foundation courses may be awarded for equivalent courses taken at other institutions.
George Proctor, Chair
Irma Ramirez, Graduate Coordinator
Admission to the Program
For admission to the Master of Interior Architecture program, an applicant must have received a baccalaureate degree with an overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0, and have completed the UCLA Extension Interior Architecture foundation courses or their equivalent. Students who are admitted to the program must be able to demonstrate that their undergraduate degree includes a minimum of 30 semester units of diverse liberal arts and science courses, as defined by CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation). Students may enter the Master of Interior Architecture program during fall or spring terms. Students residing outside of California, may apply if their state has authorized California State Polytechnic University, Pomona as an authorized provider. Students residing outside of the United States and its territories are not impacted by the state authorization.
Before applying to the program, a transcript evaluation is required. Unofficial transcripts can be used for this review process. Contact the M.I.A. Graduate Coordinator.
Required Application Materials
If you are applying as an international student, please refer to the Cal Poly Admissions Requirements for International Students for additional instructions. https://www.cpp.edu/admissions/international/graduate.shtml or call (909) 869-5299 for more information.
Completed Online Application - to begin your MIA application, proceed to CalStateApply (https://www.calstate.edu/apply) and choose the appropriate application form.
For questions regarding your application, contact Cal State Apply customer support by email at: CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or by phone at: (857) 304-2087. When you apply on-line, be sure to print it out before you submit the application as you will need to send a copy of the application to the Department of Architecture. If you prefer to complete a paper application, please contact the Office of Admissions (909) 869-5299 for one.
- Official Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts are to be uploaded at the time of application and final official transcripts must be submitted prior to enrollment. Applicants who received their bachelor degree from Cal Poly Pomona, do not need to submit transcripts. Transcripts from all college-level schools, including Certificate coursework must be mailed to Cal Poly’s Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be printed originals and sent directly from the college to Cal Poly Pomona. In the rare circumstance that the applicant’s school is unable to mail transcripts, the applicant will need to set an appointment with Cal Poly’s Office of Admissions to hand-deliver an official transcript. For information about ordering official transcripts from UCLA Extension’s Foundation Level Certificate Program, please visit the UCLA Extension Website. https://www.uclaextension.edu/
- TOEFL score - regardless of citizenship, if the principal language of instruction for your bachelor’s degree was NOT English, the TOEFL or IELTS is required for admissions. Applicants should have the following minimum scores to be considered eligible: TOEFL 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based), 80 (internet), IELTS band score of 6.5, or Duolingo 105. Applicants should have their score prior to applying to the program. This score cannot be more than two years old. Official results must be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Outreach. You can refer to the Cal Poly Pomona International Student website https://www.cpp.edu/admissions/international/graduate.shtml or call (909)869-5299 for more information.
- Application Fee - due at time of submission
Submit/Mail items 2-3 above to:
Office of Admissions
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 W. Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
- Statement of Purpose - explain your interests, motivations, and goals in pursuing a professional degree. The Statement of Purpose should not exceed 750 words.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation - these letters can be from individuals in a position to assess your potential for either the interior design profession or a Master’s level academic program.
- Portfolio - your portfolio must include visual work illustrating your creative or analytical abilities in written, graphic, or mathematical form. Upload to the CSU Apply website along with your other application documents.
Please note: Applicants must send a copy of their application to UCLA Extension. Download a copy of your complete application from CalStateApply, copies of items 1, 2 and items 5-7 above and email it to UCLA Extension at: ARC_ID@unex.ucla.edu
Requirements and Conditions
- The Master of Interior Architecture program (M.I.A.) requires the completion of a minimum of 42 semester units.
- A maximum of 9 units of acceptable graduate credit can be transferred from another graduate institution, subject to a maximum age of 7 years since completion.
- An overall average of “B” (3.0 GPA) or better must be maintained in all courses while on graduate standing to graduate and obtain the M.I.A. degree. The minimum grade in interior architecture courses that will be accepted for credit toward the degree is “C.” Any course in which a lower grade is received must be retaken, although the initial grade will not be removed from the student’s record nor from the calculations for the grade point average.
- A final Master’s project is required of candidates in the M.I.A. degree program.
- All work produced may be collected and used for the promotion of the department and its programs. Students will always be credited. Students may post their school work elsewhere if they credit the degree program, course, and responsible faculty.
- The candidate must be enrolled in the university during the term of graduation.