Dec 17, 2017
Offered by: College of Education and Integrative Studies, Liberal Studies Department
Degree Requirements for Liberal Studies Major
A 2.0 cumulative GPA is required in core courses in order to receive a degree in the major.
Required Core Courses for Major: 16 units
Required Subplan/Option Core Courses: 44 units
* If course(s) is taken to satisfy GE requirements, then student will need to complete additional approved units for Required Subplan/Option Core.
Elective Support Courses: 20 units
Choose 20 units in a single area of study in consultation with advisor.
Unrestricted Electives: 32 units
Select a sufficient number of courses from "GE" and "Unrestricted Electives" so that they total at least 100 units.
General Education Requirements: 68 units
Students should consult the Academic Programs website https://www.cpp.edu/~academic-programs/general-education-course-listings.shtml for current information regarding this requirement. Unless specific courses are stated under Support Courses, please refer to the list of approved courses under General Education Requirements, Areas A through E.
Area A. Communication and Critical Thinking (12 units)
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Area B. Mathematics and Natural Sciences (16 units)
- Physical Science
- Biological Science
- Laboratory Activity
- Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
- Science and Technology Synthesis
Area C. Humanities (16 units)
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Philosophy and Civilization
- Literature and Foreign Languages
- Humanities Synthesis
Area D. Social Sciences (20 units)
- U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals
- History, Economics, and Political Science
- Sociology, Anthropology, Ethnic and Gender Studies
- Social Science Synthesis
Area E. Lifelong Understanding and Self-development (4 units)